Friday, March 20, 2009

The books in Japanese should use furigana text.

I believe some readers who are studying the Japanese Language should read Japanese books with furigana text. That way if they learn something new, they can refer to the dictionary for the meaning.

I remember going to Kinokuniya at KLCC in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and I saw the Japanese translated version of the book "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" ("Sorcerer's Stone" in the USA) and I saw furigana texts which are easier to read than kanji alone.

Why Japanese texts have kanji (the Chinese letters)? Because they help show the meaning of whatever words we use when we speak in Japanese.

One time I talked to a Japanese sensei, she didn't understand one word I was saying so she asked for the kanji written letters for it just to know what I'm talking about.

I guess kanji letters are what makes Japanese language difficult to master. But for me it's easier to master katakana and hiragana. Well... some people in Japanese class are having trouble with either katakana or hiragana...

It's not like studying the Korean Hangul (or is it "Hangeul") letters which are harder for me since I'm not studying Korean. But both Japanese and Koreans also use Kanji (so don't get me started with what Chinese use because chances are... they're already using kanji letters themselves).

And if I remember clearly, in Korea, for those who mastered kanji, they get the kanji license. That's what someone from South Korea once said to me but I wasn't so sure. If I were to study kanji in South Korea, then chances are, I'd probably study the Korean pronunciations of each kanji instead of the Japanese pronunciations...

According to what I'm studying in the Japanese Language, there are up to 5,000 kanji letters... but people can understand or read up to 2,000 necessary kanji letters just to read the Japanese news papers.

Come to think of it, its sort of hard for me to find Japanese novels or light novels which are in furigana text. So what if AKABUMI starts one? Because I believe these days, a lot of people who have interests in Japanese Language and Culture as well as Japanese manga and anime are studying Japanese. And because of that, some people who are studying Japanese are reading Japanese Language manga with furigana text.

Examples of Japanese manga with furigana texts are the Weekly Shounen Jump magazine, Jump SQ (Jump Square) magazine, Monthly Magazine (if I can remember clearly) and probably other manga magazines published by Kodansha.

Well whatever the case, it's definitely better to have furigana texts in our books which are in Japanese language. And hopefully readers are able to read furigana texts (despite the very small hiragana letters on top or on the side of the kanji letters). But for that case, I also hope that people who are studying the Japanese Language master their katakana and hiragana.

Especially for those who are studying Japanese in Brunei... Because I believe there are a lot more people taking Japanese classes in countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and others... Even if there are some who quits easily, there are still a lot more students who are willing to proceed.

Books to be published by AKABUMI which are in Japanese furigana texts will be novels, light novels, manga, educational books and so on. I just hope that it will be helpful for those who are studying Japanese or taking Japanese classes.

The only problems that AKABUMI is facing are:
A) Budgets
B) People to hire or to recruit

And on top of that, we are currently working on our first book to publish...

But this will be a start for AKABUMI...

No comments:

Post a Comment